“Dear people who care enough about what we do to write us a letter, I feel like a terrible, inconsiderate rock star writing a generic letter like this to everyone who has written to us. But at the same time, for us to write an individual response to everyone would be a physical impossibility. We’ve been on tour for the last nine months which makes it hard to even speak a coherent sentence. Also I’ve never written a letter to anyone my whole life. Sometimes if a person who has written an interesting letter leaves their phone number, I call them. But most of you don’t leave your #’s (and probably for good reason). I would like to take this opportunity to write a few aphorisms of mine just so you don’t feel like this letter was written by someone we hire:
1. Artistic expression, sex, and truth are the only things that really matter.
2. Music is the face of God.
3. The best service you can do for mankind is mind your own business.
4. Don’t ever trust a man who says “I am going to kill you in the name of God.”
5. Buy an Eric Dolphy record.
Love, John Frusciante (Froo-shon-tay)”"